Saturday, February 25, 2012

But Will They Fly




After an overnight flight from San Francisco, I find myself sitting in Miami International Airport at a rather early hour. There look to be 3 flights to Haiti this morning from Miami, so I suspect there will be lots of people going to Haiti to help. I have seen one team already. I assume they are a team as they have matching t-shirts.

Several things rapidly crossing my mind this morning: I am thinking of my family and hope they will be ok while I am away, I am thinking of the mission team and hope that we actually meet up in PaP as planned and all goes well, and funny enough I keep hoping the kites we are planning to build will actually fly.

The kites we have planned are those built from 3 chop sticks, some string, some plastic (for the skin), and a bit of tape / glue. They are modeled after Haitian kites and the design, in theory, seems sound enough, but I never really have done a complete practical tests. This makes me a bit nervous. I suspect we are going to have to leverage some local knowledge from the translators and perhaps even the kids to get things tuned just right, but I find my biggest fear right now is that they won't get off the ground.

So besides your prayers for safety, caring, and compassion, please pray for the kites to fly and the children to enjoy the simply pleasure of a kite.

Location:Miami International Airport, Gate D25

No comments:

Post a Comment