Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Life Skill Mentors

Plans are moving forward with this year's trip to Haiti. It looks like the dates are just about finalized and I should be able to meet up with another group while in Port-au-Prince so I may not be entirely on my own.

I have been thinking that it would be nice to contribute something materially toward independent living training for the older children while I am in country. My hope is to be able to identify one or two individuals who will be able to be mentors to the older children and help train them. This is where I need help, as while I can identify individuals, I need money to pay them. Based on what we pay drivers and translators while in country and what an individual was being paid for teaching English lessons to the children, I am thinking that it will cost about $150USD per mentor, per month plus a small additional amount for training expenses.

So, I am looking for 15 individuals that are willing to commit to a $20USD donation a month for 12 months, for a total donation of $240USD to support two mentors one for the boys and one for the girls. If you can donate all at once, that would be wonderful, but if you would need to do it as monthly payments that would be fine as well. If you are willing to help fund life skills mentors for the older children please contact me.

My plan is to require that the mentors fill out a weekly update on their work so that we can follow progress and they will have to provide receipts or documentation to justify expenses such as tap-tap (public transportation) charges if they teach the children how to use public transportation and food supplies as they teach them how to shop and cook.

So please, prayerfully consider committing to a year of supporting a mentor for $20USD a month for year. The older children are quickly approaching the age where they law requires them to leave the group home (orphanage) and they need training on how to do the tasks that we do every day as independently living adults.

Additionally, I continue to seek support to help fund my trip this years. To be honest, I would rather have people help to support the mentors, but if you feel called to help support my trip that would be appreciated as well.

Bondye Beni Ou.

No comments:

Post a Comment