Thursday, March 2, 2017

Journals for the 13s

Today we finally made it to the stationary store, or rather we finally made it into the stationary store. Wilkens and I have been trying to get into this store for about three days. It has been closed for various reasons. Our purpose was to purchase journals for the older children, where older is defined as 13 years old or older. 

The idea is to have something special happen when a child turns 13 and this is just a small gift. They can use the journal for whatever they want, but we emphasized that it is theirs and that they don't have to share it or show others what they write in the journal. It is for their private thoughts. 

We handed them out this afternoon along with a pen. Also we gave the letters to and took pictures of those youth that were at camp when we previously distributed letters. I hope the youth understood the purpose.  I do know that right after we gave the children the journals a couple other children claimed they were 13 too. We showed them the records we have which includes their birth date. 

I don't think the children at the center are used to a situation where some children get something and some don't, but the reality is that in a family there are times when children get special gifts and attention, so I think this is a fair concept and one that the children can learn. It also gives the younger children something to look forward to when they turn 13, as the plan is to give the journals to them on their birthday. 

Around 3 o'clock today a group from the General Baptist Association of Virginia (GBAV) landed in PaP and I went with the Pastor and Wilkens to pick them up at the airport. This group is one of, if not the, biggest sponsor of the Centre Source de Lumiere. Among other things the group is visiting for board and planning meetings. I intend to participate as much as I am invited and am changing guest houses tomorrow so that it will be easier to have evening conversations after the day's work. I am not completely sure what they intend to do besides board meetings, but I am pretty sure I heard the words "ice cream party".

I am over halfway through my trip and so tonight I pray for my family. That all continues to go well in my absence and I pray a prayer of thanks giving for without their support my trip would not be possible. I also pray for the group from Virginia. I pray their work here is productive and that they accomplish all they wish and more.  Amen.

2 comments: