Thursday, May 17, 2018

Why no, I am not Haitian

Tomorrow is Flag Day in Haiti. This is a day to celebrate Haiti and Haitian culture. Music, dancing, parades, everyone dressed in red and blue, the whole works. By the looks of it the kids didn't really have class today. Instead they seemed to be preparing for tomorrow, practicing music and dances.

After watching the kids a while I figured it was time to walk around and purchase a small flag to join in the celebration. I headed down the street to an area where I knew there were many shopping stalls and figured someone would be selling the little flags that kids wave during parades. They were actually harder to find than I anticipated, but I found one, paid my 25 gourde and attached it to my back pack for the walk home. 

I have been many places where I would not be all that surprised if someone asked if I was a local, i.e., England, Canada, Scotland, etc., but I was shocked how many people asked if I was Haitian when they saw me walking with the flag. I am white (blan). Too be honest, it was likely about 5 and some of those were likely having fun at my expense (pa gen pwoblem), but there were a few that meant the question honestly. One even pulled out his national ID card asking if I had one. I was just shocked anyone would confuse me for a local. Besides the questions, I did get a lot of smiles, waves, and thumbs up. 

Haitians are proud of their country and proud to be Haitian. This is the same in most countries. Unfortunately, it can be said that some people in western countries look at countries, like Haiti, as if they shouldn't be proud. I think Haitians feels this deeply and I think that is partially why when they see a blan waving a Haitian flag or attempting to speak their language it makes them smile. I will have to let my Haitian friends verify if that thought has any truth in it. 

Haitians know that there are problems in their country and they strive everyday to work towards a better country, just as we in the United States know we have problems and strive every day to work toward a better United States of America. Please join me tomorrow in wishing any Haitian you know a happy Flag Day and if you have it, ware something red and blue so that you can tell people about Haiti, it's history, it's people, and it's culture when they ask. 

This afternoon I offer a prayer of thanks for the successful minor surgery my son underwent yesterday on his finger. I pray for a safe and joyous flag day tomorrow here in Haiti and for Haitians abroad. I pray that the children are able to travel outside the center tomorrow to be part of the celebration. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. The Haitians are blessed to have a friend like you. So many people know so little about another country.

    ReplyDelete