Friday, September 17, 2010

Haiti in January

I have not updated this blog as often as I had plan and I need to become more disciplined about that. But, I wanted to let everyone know that the mission trip to Haiti to work on construction of a school/clinic looks to be on track for January 8 to 16, 2011. The costs for this trip have greatly increased over what I expected and that of the trip to the Dominican Republic last year. The projected cost is about $1,900 to $2,000 v. the $1,400 the Dominican trip cost last year.

I have been prayerfully considering this mission trip as with a daughter now in college, another in a private high school, and our other commitments, expenses can be rather tight. An additional issues is that there is another mission trip to the Dominican in March as our church works to make the trip to the Dominican an annual event. Based on everything, I have to make a choice to participate in only a single trip as it does not seem possible to be able to afford both. Based on my prayer, I feel that I am being pulled toward Haiti and thus plan to go on this trip and not the Dominican trip. This is a hard choice because of the trip to the Dominican will have an aspect of a reunion as it will likely involve some of the same individuals that participated from last year.

Now the hard work begins. That hard work is the preparation for the mission trip. This includes the fund raising effort. In general I find fund raising hard as I have difficulty asking others for "personal" help, but that is required for the mission trip and is part of my training for mission work as it requires an individual to humble themselves and ask for and receive help.

Mahalo and God Bless,
/david

PS. The photo above is not of the actual school we will be working on, it is a photo I found on the internet, but felt a visual of some sort was needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment