Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Helping to Build a School in Haiti

In March 2010 I participated on a mission trip to Haiti that provided medical clinics and food distribution. This trip made quite an impact on me and I vowed to return to Haiti when I could. I had originally planned to go back to Haiti in October, then November, but as you might expect plans and Haiti sometimes do not always see eye to eye.

The trip is now firming up and it will be from January 8 to the 16th. The group will consist of 10 to 20 people and we will be helping build a school in the suburbs of Haiti. Within the Haitian culture a building, such as this, is far more than a school as it becomes a focal point for the community.

This January, it will be a year since the earthquake, but if you look at Port-au-Prince the signs of change are few. There is still rubble in the street, trash in the storm drains, and tent cities cover any open space. This is truly a people still in need.

Part of a mission trip is helping others; another part is learning to rely on others. On this mission trip I will be striving, with God's help, to help the Haitian community through friendship and construction. In order to participate on this missions trip I have to rely on others; not only while in Haiti, but while preparing to go to Haiti.

To this end, the cost of the mission trip is between $1,900 to $2,000, which is used to cover travel, housing, food, translators, cooks, drivers, vehicles, construction materials, and construction supervisors. The philosophy of the mission group with which I participate is to hire local people, so cooks, drivers, translators, and construction supervisors tend to be local Haitians so that we are not simply a group that comes in and leaves a void. The point is to start a project so that after we leave it can be continued both with future mission trips and local workers.

I would appreciate your help in funding this trip. If you would like to help you can send checks to:

Acton Congregational Church
c/o Haitian Mission Trip / David Bainbridge
12 Concord Road
Acton, MA 01720

If you have any questions please drop me an email at davidk.bainbridge@gmail.com or comment on this or any post and I will reply as best as I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment