Sunday, March 13, 2011

Leaving Hispanola

In case you are not aware, Hispaniola is the name of the island that is shared by Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Today is the day that I leave the island after spending a week in Haiti and a week in the Dominican Republic. As expected I have mixed feelings about leaving. I miss my family greatly and can't think my wife enough for her support, but I also feel that so much has been left undone, especially in Haiti.

The plane is in the air now and I can see the mountains to the west. Over those mountains is Haiti. The peacefulness of the world at 10,000 feet hides the trouble at ground level. How long will it be until Haiti heals?

When I think or Haiti I think of all the things c that could be done to support the Haitian people and help the country to regain it's glory as the "Pearl or the Caribean" as it was one called by France. But much has to change both in the international community and in Haiti for Haiti to rebuild.

The constant donations to Haiti have help to cripple their economy. The local businesses have to be support and aid money need to flow through them as opposed to foreign contractors. At the same time the quality and performance of those local businesses needs improve to the standards that can be achieved by foreign contractors.

Corruption in government and business can no longer be tolerated. Those that perpetuate it must be brought to justice.

Education must be prioritized for all Haitians. Through education the next generation can learn about Haiti's history and prepare the country for both local business initiatives and for branches of international companies.

Simple things like perpetuating he habit of throwing trash in receptacles must also be enforced. Bringing security and cleanliness to the county will help bring tourists, which can infuse money and jobs into the economy.

And there is much more that needs to be done. My hope is I can continue to play a small part in the rebirth of Haiti.

... Over the ocean with Hispaniola no longer in view ... God bless and see you soon ...

Location:Delta 494, Santa Domingo Airport @ gate, 12:21

No comments:

Post a Comment