Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing ...

It is about about 10AM in Florida, Ft. Lauderdale airport to be specific. I left San Francisco yesterday afternoon so we are nearing 20 hours or so of travel and I just found out it will be a little longer before I leave the US for Port-au-Prince, Haiti as my flight was delayed 45 minutes. The flight was originally scheduled to leave at 1PM, so another 3 to 4 hours to wait. It does give me time to catch up on my Haitian Creole language tracks. My Creole is severely lacking (pa trè byen).

I keep trying to remember how many times I have traveled to Haiti and I find the trips blur together and I remember key moments, but I can't always place them on a time line. I think this is my 6th trip since March 2010.

As I have stated before every time I travel to Haiti it feels less and less like a mission trip and more and more like a trip to visit and work with friends. Just hanging out, laughing, and enjoying each others company. We do construction, medical clinics, visit the kids or what ever needs to be done, but at some level that is not the focus and and it shifts to just being with my friends, the kids, and making new friends as we work with and for people.

I pray on this trip I can be more conscious of the conversations I have. That I take time to get know those I call friends at a deeper level. That I listen, more than I talk.

Safe travels to all the people from the US that I am joining in Port-au-Prince. See you all in a couple of hours.


1 comment:

  1. Dear David,
    It's incredible how the Lord is using you and your group of friends for this mission to help people in Haiti. You've been called and you answered yes wholeheartedly.
    This verse comes to mind and it is my prayer for you as you continue His work:
    "In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
    (Philippians 1:5-6)
    Many blessings,
    Lilia

    ReplyDelete