Friday, March 7, 2014

T minus 14


Farm at UCI Facility [1]
It is about 14 days until I hop on a plane for Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Actually, the plane is from SFO to DFW (where I spend 8+ hours and sleep at the airport) to FLL and then finally to PAP. Total travel time 18+ hours to go 3282 miles, so will be traveling about 172 mph. The reverse trip is actually longer with an 11 hour sleep over in MIA.

I am getting very excited about the trip and seeing old friends in Haiti. It really does feel like home when I am there. This will be my forth year going to Haiti and the fifth or sixth trip. And while the travel to and from Haiti can be tough, it is always well worth it.

We will be working on construction for one week and medical clinics for one week. I will be joining people from New England for both weeks. I have been in Haiti with some of the people before and it is always great to catch up with them as we work to contribute what little help and support we can to our Haitian friends. Even though it has been 4 years since the earthquake and there has been progress, it has been slow and there is so much more that needs to happen to support the Haitians as they transform their cities to where they could be.

My trip is not fully funded yet, so if you have been considering helping support my work in Haiti I would appreciate any help you can offer no matter how small. I have had to eliminate my trip extension at this point and will not be visiting UCI (http://www.unitedchristiansinternational.org/ [2]). They have been doing some great work in Haiti, so even if you don't support my trip, please consider supporting their work as they are not only providing university educations but also building self sustaining farms which are owned and operated by the local Haitians. 

I thought I would put a last minute request out for additional items that would be helpful for my trip. If you would like to donate any of these items please let me know so we can arrange it so that they arrive at my residence in time for packing:
  1. English Dictionary (x5) - These will be donated to the "Easy English Club", which is a club some of the translators run in order to teach other Haitians English.
  2. Idiom Dictionary (x5) - These will be donated to the "Easy English Club" as well. Turns out Americans use a lot of idioms when they speak. Could have bowled me over when I learned that.
  3. Laptop Battery (HP dv6000) (x1) - One of the laptops donated for helping teach computers has a non-functioning battery. It is still usable and will be going with me, but having a working battery would be a plus.
  4. Flying Discs (Frizbees) (x5) - Always something the kids at the orphanage like
  5. Kites (x5) - Just make sure they are small enough to fit in my bags
  6. Hacky Sack (x5) - Fun for all ages
Thank you again to everyone who has already helped support this trip. It is very truly appreciated. If you haven't donated yet, but still would like to, there is still time. Please send any funds donated to:

Union Church
C/O Jonathan Wright-Gray
P.O. Box 7028
Ocean Park, Maine 04063
(Please put "Haiti" and my name in the memo of the check.)

If you do donate please let me know so that I can keep track.

[1] I borrowed this picture from a friend's Twitter post without permission. They were just recently at UCI, hope they don't mind and thanks.
[2] As of this writing the website of UCI was not working, not sure why, hope it is up soon



No comments:

Post a Comment