Monday, March 16, 2015

Sorting, Planning, Kreyòl, and Cultural Differences

Lining Up
Today started with a plan to meet at the orphanage at about 9am to help plan a sewing class. We were there on time, the man from the church who knows how to repair sewing machines was there by 9:15, but the others we needed for the meeting were not available until around 9:45. This is actually quite normal in Haiti and once you get past the US idea that things happen as scheduled it is one of the charms of Haiti.

The plan to start a sewing class came about because this year we will be distributing "Days for Girls" kits. The original plan was to find people that knew how to sew and could turn making these kits into a business. Another charm of Haiti is that initial plans often change as you learn "facts on the ground."  So now we are planning for a sewing class to first teach a group of people to sew and then, when they are ready, they might be able to make the kits, which I am told are difficult to make. 

While the sewing instructor was evaluating the available sewing machines and understanding what needs to be repaired we started sorting some cloths that were in the room. The room was being used as a sort of make shift storage area. There were quite few musical instruments in this room including violins, guitars, brass, and rythem. It would be nice if the children could use them, but I don't think there is anyone at the orphanage now to teach music. 

By the time all this was complete it was time to head back to the guest house for lunch and a conversation with the Pastor's wife about sex education at the clinics for next week. There are some cultural norms that are different between the U.S. and Haiti on this subject. 

One of the things I have been working on this trip is my ability to speak Haitian Creole. I have asked the translators to only speak to me in Creole and one of the translators has agreed to help teach me a little more and help me with my pronunciation. We plan to meet for about 1 hour every day and we started today. I feel a little like a kindergartener as I learn the basics of the Haitian alphabet and some simple verb tenses, but even this first class was really good and I learned some important things. I still have a long way to go and I am slow at learning languages, but I am making progress. I am very grateful to the translators, the children at the orphanage, and all I meet in Haitii who have helped me and are continuing to help me learn to speak Creole. 

One last thing before I sign off. Some cultural differences have always been difficult for me when I have been in Haiti. One of the earlier trips we saw a rather brutal punishment being given to a girl at one school, not the school at the orphanage. What I saw today in comparison was quite tame.  Apparently some of the boys were not up to snuff when getting into line after lunch. There punishment was to sit on their knees on the pavement until the other kids filled inside and then they were allowed to move. This is just not something you would see in the states, but as I said is quite timid for Haiti. 

As it starts to rain, and I mean really rain, in Haiti I pray for those in Haiti that do not have a shelter that keeps out the rain. I pray for those whose shelter may keep out the rain, but whose floor turns into a river from the runoff. I pray for the mother who dropped off the two year old for the Pastor to care for, that she may be safe and dry tonight and that she rests with the knowledge that her child's health is improving and that her child is safe and loved. I pray that if it is God's will that she may get to a place where she may be able to care for the child and be reunited with the child that she so loved that she flelt she must give it to another for care. I pray for my wife back home that all is going well. That she understands how much I love her and that I understand how much she and my kids sacrifice for me to come to Haiti. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment