Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter Sunday Sunshine

Bon Pak. I hope everyone has had a wonderful Easter. This morning started out with about 3 hours of church service, which is actually a little shorter than I expected given that it was Easter. I was able to see some old friends so that was good.  I also got to see and hold Sunshine for a while. This is the little girl who was dropped off at the Pastor house last year near death by a very young mother. The mother was a young teenager who was not able to take care of herself or her child.since then the Pastor has adopted Sunshine and she is much better. She was a bit lethargic and I wasn't sure how much of that was 3 hours in a hot church v. Her health. And while she still does not walk or stand on her own when I supported he on her legs she seemed pretty strong. The Pastor wife had invited a doctor to look at her to help evaluate her. It looks like she still has a significant way to recovery and I worry that her early life may have a long term impact. 

After church we has a quick trip to the grocery store for lunch supplies and the back to the kids living at the orphanage. We played Easter bunny and handed out the eggs with some candy in them. The kids were very good about taking only one and they seems to enjoy the candy as well as enjoying the plastic egg to keep. 

I handed out some toys as well, which didn't last that long. Turns out when it comes to toys v. Haitian kids the toys always lose. The kids do enjoy looking at pictures of my family and America as well as play games on my old iPhone. They also like taking pictures of themselves and sometimes the pictures go from normal to silly quickly



I did find out that some of the older boys have started making arts and selling them. It is a little unclear where they have been selling them, but it seems they are. This is mixed news to me. It is good that they are learning skills and have an opportunity to make money, but I really don't think this is the way to a stable livelihood as many people do this in Haiti and there really isn't that much tourism.  The picture included here is a picture painted by 15 year old Richardson. It is for sale for $30 us. It is painted on a piece of cardboard. If you are interested let me know and I will see if I have enough money to buy it and you can pay me back.

Tonight I thank God for the gift and sacrifice of his son for us. I ask for blessings on these children living in Haiti. I pray that the will grow up and live a productive and safe live knowing that they are a beloved child of God. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    I'm glad you had a blessed Easter. I would like to sponsor this young artist and buy his painting. I think it's great that he is starting young and already using his talents. So, if it's still available, please acquire this for me and I'll reimburse you when I see you in April. Love and blessings to all the children there! -Lilia <3

    ReplyDelete