Saturday, January 12, 2013

Getting to Know You

The Port-au-Prince airport is much improved since I was here last (March 2012). They now have their gangways working and you know longer have to take the shuttle bus from the airplane to the terminal. I was pleasantly surprised.

The rest of the airport is pretty much the same. I was able to find the rest of the group quite easily, or rather they found me. And once I realized I was at the wrong baggage carousel and got to the correct one, I was able to find my bag without a problem. (btw, all the tools and odd shapes in my checked bag caught the interest of the TSA and they went through the bag and then put it back together). But the good news is that everything was there and nothing went missing.

We did a quick meet and greet at the airport, purchased a SIM card for the phone, and then were off to run the gauntlet of people trying to "help" you with your bags all with the expectation of a tip at the end. There was a lot of shouting "no mesi" and I think we made it through with only two hanger ons. (I believe "mesi" is the correct spelling in Haitian Creole.

We packed the cars and heads for the guest house. It is quite a nice quest house and there were a few other groups including a "strength" group, which go around breaking and bending things as well as preaching the gospel. I saw a video of them once visiting a school, but I can't find it fit now.

We also had a very nice dinner and some group time to help us get to know each other. The group from the right coast brought a guitar along with talent so we had some good music tonight and were able to practice for our song during the church service tomorrow, during which I will be mouthing "watermelon". We were also lucky to hear some other tunes include one of from Bob Marley's.

Tried to clean up a bit tonight, but there was no water. It was unclear if that is because they ran out or because a lack of power somewhere. There is no central water system in PaP. No worries, it is what it is and if nothing else there are wet wipes to deal with it in the morning.

Well, it is time for bed, so please forgive any mistakes as I am too tired to deal with it.



Location:Ruelle P. Savain,Port-au-Prince,Haiti

5 comments:

  1. So good to be able to read how things go every day. I look forward to following your mission

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, we are thinking about you and your group, holding you all in prayer. Keep us posted as you are able. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is when we lack material comforts that we usually go over the priority list of life and decide what is really important.

    Thank you for helping us to see our daily blessings and be thankful for them.

    Lots of love to you all,
    Lilia and Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has your High School French helped you to understand Haitian Creole?

    ReplyDelete