Tuesday, January 15, 2013

We Were Framed




Today we started framing the chicken coop. Some have nicked named it the "Yellow Flower Chicken Club", but I am not sure it will stick. It was quite an experience helping in the framing process as it was done in the traditional Haitian way, which is not always the same way you might do it in the US. But, as you can see we have support posts, cross beams, and the beginning of a roof line.

Our jobs today consisted of digging a lot of post holes, carrying cement, and some cutting of lumber. We were not expected to climb the 2x4 that they rested against the structure as a incline because there was no ladder.

Cement mixing in Haiti is still a very manual process. It is mixed on the ground by shovel by and individual who uses their experience to created the right mixture and consistency. Then the result is hand carried by buckets down to the work site. It is a very labor intensive process.


After the work day, showers and dinner we headed to the orphanage to spend some time with the kids and play some indoor games. Unfortunately the orphanage, much to our surprise, were not aware that we were coming. But, no worries, the we found our way inside and broke out some bead to make bracelets, a board game, twister, and the Polaroid camera.


It was a wonderful time of hugs and fun and I recognized a few faces from years past, most notably Edna. I believe I have mentioned Edna in my blog from past years and it was really good to see her again, but also a bit sad she is still not able to live with her parents as they, as I recall, do not have the funds to support her. Edna was special to me because her smile and the way she giggled is exactly how my middle daughter Emily smiles and giggles. If I could she would be coming home on the plane with me to join our family (guess I should have discussed that with the wife first, but as it is not possible I guess there is no harm done). The first picture above is Edna today. The second is Edna a few years ago.

A long but rewarding day. It will be interested to see what tomorrow holds.

Location:Ruelle P. Savain,Port-au-Prince,Haiti

2 comments:

  1. You always have fun with the children! We mixed cement the same way in the Philippeans twelve years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked my kids if they have ever seen one of those cement mixer trucks. Now imagine having to mix that all by hand.

    Daniel's response: "Then they could use those barrels and turn the handle." When he realized that you do not even have that, he looked really concerned.

    I believe that the Lord has started a good work in you all and He will bring it to completion.

    Praying for more strength, His love and compassion.

    ReplyDelete